GroveStreams

GroveStreams Smartthings Readings Stopped330

djamie2015 private msg quote post Address this user
As of 2 nights ago, my readings have stopped posting to GroveStreams. I haven't changed anything on the Smartthings side and all sensors are still accessible remotely. I read the following Smartthings post which suggests there may be a need to remove and re-add sensors from time to time to get the readings to post.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/grovestreams-smartapp/7375/54?u=djamie2015

Is there a workaround to remove this manual operation?
Post 1 IP   flag post
MikeMills private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like an issue within SmartThings or the code you're using to upload from SM into GS.

To know for sure, you can engage API tracing in GS to see if any calls are arriving:
* login and enter your GS Org
* Choose Admin - API Keys
* Select the API key you're using within your SM code agent
* Enter the number of minutes to do the tracing

Any calls to GS will appear as System notifications (the little envelope in the toolbar).

Let me know if you see any api trace statements.
Also, are there any other existing System Notifications?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@MikeMills I have not seen any calls after following your recommendations. The interesting part is that everything was working great for 2-3 weeks and I had not touched a thing.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Tweaked a couple of configuration settings. I have a hunch. Let me know if things start to work overnight.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@MikeMills,

Still no luck.
Post 5 IP   flag post
OK. We need to determine if the calls are even making it to the GS servers. I'll need some information. Can you send me your api_key and org UID (enter org and its on the URL)? You can send them in a private forum message or to our support email address.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@MikeMills,

Looks like something on the ST end. I uninstalled the ST app, then reinstalled. All good now. Thanks for your help.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ero4444 private msg quote post Address this user
ST back end (using AWS) kills scheduled processes? when execution time exceeds 20sec, which happens often in peak times. So I'd be surprised if the ST smartapp/data transmission just works continuously.

To restart the ST smartapp, you can select any new point/stream, or remove any point, from the existing program, to reschedule collection - the app must see a change. This works without deleting and re-installing the app.

It's not a GroveStreams problem.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@ero4444 - thanks for that explanation.

SmartThings users: Why hasn't SmartThings built it's own analytcs/alerting/visualization framework?

GroveStreams picks a few SmartThings users every day consistently for about a year now. Our guess is that we have over a 1,000 ST users today. We welcome any users from anywhere, but honestly, we don't make very much money from small users; mainly because the volume of small users is currently low.

Most of our current roadmap is targeting larger commercial industrial customers. You've probably noticed that most of our recent enhancements are targeting larger entities which require better security options and data modeling vs improving usability which smaller users would probably prefer over complex modeling.

That being said, if there is a demand for a GS type backend to SmartThings and other similar platforms, then maybe we should target those folks more.

Maybe it's time I give ST a call and see what's up. Thoughts?
Post 9 IP   flag post
ero4444 private msg quote post Address this user
I just saw this reply - sorry about slow response.

ST has had significant problems delivering reliably on their base features. Intermittent but frequent loss of scheduled actions, maybe just peak load times. Loss of editing of smart-app configurations, ghost commands. I'd prefer they fix the house foundation before adding rooms.

Maybe you could package a subscription in partnership with ST that makes data analytics easy for a typical ST user. I know it wasn't easy for me! I like my cheap home-rolled solution but if it was $2-3 month (my volume is very low) and ready-to-go with templates then I might have done that instead . As you said it's a small market, but I am surprised there are more than 1000 ST users. I thought I was super-special.
Post 10 IP   flag post
We reach out to ST occasionally, but they don't seem interested. That being said, it appears a high number of our user's ST/GS code is throwing exceptions on their servers. A couple of ST engineers contacted us and are working with us to improve the sample code.
Post 11 IP   flag post
2965 11 11