GroveStreams
JChristensen private msg quote post Address this user
Should line chart widgets on a dashboard refresh automatically according to the polling interval? I have a steel series "Singles" widget that refreshes fine, but can't seem to get a line chart to refresh automatically. Behavior is the same in Firefox and Chrome.
Post 1 IP   flag post
MikeMills private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, they should refresh automatically. It could be a bug with your specific graph.

Can you hit F12, monitor the console pane and see if you're getting any java script errors?

How many streams are you monitoring? What types are they (point, random, interval)?

Are you monitoring any rollup statistics in the graph?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I created a new dashboard with one "last value grid" and two line charts. The grid monitors two random streams. The line charts each monitor one of the streams. Very straightforward, no rollups.

The new dashboard behaves the same, the grid updates fine but not the charts.

The Chrome console showed the following message, just once, I let it run several more minutes and no further messages:
'webkitRequestAnimationFrame' is vendor-specific. Please use the standard 'requestAnimationFrame' instead. jquery.min.js:18

Firefox showed the following, again just once:
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented instead. jquery.min.js:17
Use of getAttributeNode() is deprecated. Use getAttribute() instead. ext-all.js:18
Use of attributes' specified attribute is deprecated. It always returns true. ext-all.js:18
Post 3 IP   flag post
Messages got truncated, here they are:

Chrome:
'webkitRequestAnimationFrame' is vendor-specific. Please use the standard 'requestAnimationFrame' instead. jquery.min.js:18

Firefox:
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. jquery.min.js:17
Use of getAttributeNode() is deprecated. Use getAttribute() instead. ext-all.js:18
Use of attributes' specified attribute is deprecated. It always returns true. ext-all.js:18
Post 4 IP   flag post
About how frequently do the random stream samples arrive?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Every 60 seconds.
Post 6 IP   flag post
In the widget settings:
- What do you have View Last set to?
- Do you have a Data Point Cycle selected too - if so, which one?
Post 7 IP   flag post
View last 100.
Did not select a data point cycle, just wanting to chart the raw data.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ah! Selecting a 1 minute data point cycle fixes it!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I think there is still a bug there. I'll try and reproduce it. Selecting a 1 minute data point cycle just converts the random stream to a 1 minute interval stream on the fly. That probably avoided the bug.
Post 10 IP   flag post
This is the dashboard if it helps you:
https://grovestreams.com/observationStudio.html?org=66d58106-8c04-34d9-9e8c-17499a8942d7&view=dashboard&itemUid=225d3188-cf43-3a59-b470-0cfcebecfc52&itemName=Refresh%20test
Post 11 IP   flag post
I can see the dashboard. Do the graph widgets have a Data Point selected? I'm hoping not so that I can see the refresh problem.
Post 12 IP   flag post
They don't have a Data Point Cycle selected, is that what you meant?
BTW, gauge gadgets work ok too.
Post 13 IP   flag post
That's just a real quick dashboard I created, I think I literally just added the widgets then dragged and dropped the stream onto them, and nothing else.
Post 14 IP   flag post
It looks like it's working for me so we need to figure out what's different.

Do you see this problem right after you open the dashboard or do you have to wait a while?

Do you have to wait for your user session to timeout, then log back in, and then you see the problem?

I think the Feed query might be using the client's computer time as part of the query. Can you check and see if your computer time is accurate?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Interesting. It occurs for me all the time, regardless of when the dashboard was opened, when I logged on, etc.

The computer I've been using is 12.6 seconds slow according to www.time.is. Don't know why Windows doesn't do better than that. I'll force a sync and see if that helps and also will try another computer.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Mike, syncing the time seems to have fixed it! It also works fine on another computer here. That machine's clock is 23 seconds fast and I did not correct it. Fast is OK, but not slow? Is that the expected behavior?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I don't think 12 seconds would be the cause, but you never know.

It works for me on Firefox on my Linux box. It works for me on Chrome on my Windows box. It updates about every one minute as it should since data arrives every minute and the widget poll is 5 seconds.

The very first time I opened it, it didn't refresh for about 3 minutes, but then started refreshing about every minute without me doing anything. I thought maybe no data was uploaded for a few minutes the first time since it's worked since.

I'll keep playing with it off and on.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Hmmm...I'll set my clock back and see what happens on my box.
Post 19 IP   flag post
OK, should be interesting.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I set my clock back on my linux box and....it still worked.

But, I went back to my Windows box and they have stopped updating (without me changing the clock).

I'll dig into it some more.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Much appreciated!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I've seen them stop before too. Right now I have two different dashboards open on one PC and a second copy of one of those on the other, and they're all updating.
Post 23 IP   flag post
We detected and fixed one bug related to when a user's session times out and the user logs back in. A timeout and automatic re-authentication will also occur for Guest users or if the "Remember Me" flag is set.

This is probably the bug that is seen when a chart mysteriously stops auto refreshing.

Not sure if there is another bug, because we haven't been able to reproduce a chart not refreshing right when it is opened. We can update the site with this fix in a day or two and see if it fixes what you are seeing.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Thanks, Mike, I'll keep an eye on it and let you know.

FYI, I'm putting together a simple IoT demo for a new local group that's forming for people that want to learn programming. I volunteered to give an intro to microcontrollers and this is one of the applications I'll demonstrate. I'll be sure to plug GS a couple times ;-)

Anyway, it just has three simple sensors and pushes data every 10 seconds so people can play with the sensors and watch the charts change:
http://goo.gl/rJSI0n

It's been working pretty good this evening, don't know that I've seen any issues.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I see you're using the new dashboard sharing link!

Thanks for spreading the word. We still rely on word of mouth and forum posts mainly.

We were interviewed by a couple of Analysts this month. Their reports should come out shortly. Can't wait to see what they say. If it is good, I'll post a link to their review
Post 26 IP   flag post
Mike, I'm thinking more and more that this is a personal problem. I was seeing the issue on my desktop machine but not on my laptop machine. Today (after a reboot), it seems fine. Can't come up with a theory on what the issue was (is) since it affected both Firefox and Chrome.

I'd say stand down on it. If I get any more insight, I'll let you know. I do think I saw the bug you found once or twice so it's good that there's a fix for that.

Thanks very much!
Post 27 IP   flag post
After posting the previous message, I noticed that the chart in Firefox, only on the desktop machine, had stopped, but then it restarted by itself. So this sounds like the bug you found. (I had sent the forum reply from another tab in the same copy of Firefox, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.)

So no action required, but if you're interested in the details, here are the charts from Chrome and Firefox. I downloaded the data from the widget also, note that the points for 14:14-14:16 are missing. Once I refreshed the widget, the chart repaired itself.

One note, the times are correct, but should say EDT, i.e. the missing data points started at 14:14 EDT.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bova5fouhsht1y9/AABfiSeZY-WLrr5OiCu1kAgWa
Post 28 IP   flag post
Yeah, that's what I was seeing too (missing data points in the polling graph or no new points arriving) with the bug we fixed. Hopefully it is fixed. I'll post in this thread when the production site has the fix.
Post 29 IP   flag post
A fix for this has been posted to the production site.
Post 30 IP   flag post
2968 37 30