GroveStreams

Improved Dashboard Designer211

MikeMills private msg quote post Address this user
We're proud to announce improvements to the GroveStreams dashboarding toolset. Here's a summary of what we've done:

1) A styled title can be optionally added to the top of your dashboard
2) Widget headers have a cleaner look. The Header color and the border colors can be changed. Border widths and each corner radius can also be changed
3) Widgets can span multiple columns
4) Widget spacing and dashboard margins are configurable

1) Toggle Change Appearance to edit a dashboard
2) Widget editing tools will appear above each widget
* < and > are used to span or unspan across columns
* + and - are used to increase or decrease a widget's height
* X is used to remove a widget from the dashboard
3) Three new column Layout Types
* Fixed Count - Fixed Width: Used to keep your widget's width and location fixed.
* Fixed Count - Stretch Width: Used to keep your widget location fixed, but the width of each widget will adjust as the view-able width changes.
* Dynamic Count - Fixed Width: Used to keep your widget width fixed, but the location of a widget will change as the view-able width changes and the number of columns changes. Widgets will collapse into the previous column as view-able width decreases and the number of columns decrease. Collapsing stops when the Minimum Columns amount has been reached. These types of dashboards are commonly known as Responsive Dashboards.

Enjoy!

Post 1 IP   flag post
JChristensen private msg quote post Address this user
When clicking Change Appearance, I'm not seeing the widget editing tools.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Did you hit F5 to refresh the browser cache?
Can you see the properties pane on the left (second image above; the pane #3 is on)?
Which browser are you using?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I did hit F5 and also tried clearing all browser cache. I do see the properties pane. Chrome and Firefox are behaving the same. I'll try a different computer, stand by.
Post 4 IP   flag post
MThomas private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, it's not working for me either. I get the following errors in firefox:

SyntaxError: Using //@ to indicate sourceMappingURL pragmas is deprecated. Use //# instead jquery.min.js:1
Error: https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.9.1/jquery.min.js is being assigned a //# sourceMappingURL, but already has one
Blocked loading mixed active content "http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.9.1/jquery-ui.min.js"[Learn More] observationStudio.html
"Highcharts error #15: www.highcharts.com/errors/15" highstock.js:19
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented instead. jquery.min.js:3
TypeError: v.children(...).filter(...).draggable is not a function jquery.shapeshift.min.js:1
"Highcharts error #15: www.highcharts.com/errors/15" highstock.js:19
TypeError: h.draggable is not a function jquery.shapeshift.min.js:1
GET https://grovestreams.com/api/gs_notification/new_count [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 474ms]
GET https://dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/logging.ashx [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 20ms]

Post 5 IP   flag post
I've reproduced it too. I can see an exception being thrown which is causing problems. We'll dig into and put a patch together once we figure out why it works on all of the test machines but not the production ones .
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks Mike. I also have an indicator on the address bar in Chrome saying, "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources."

Exciting changes, looking forward to trying them out!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Yes, "unauthenticated source" was the issue which messed up the deployment.

Just installed a patch and things look better. Do an F5.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Looks good now! The update (not the patch just installed) seems to have rearranged the widgets on some of my dashboards, but no biggie, now I can move 'em around easily enough. Thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Default title style is wrong. We'll fix that, but until then you can paste in:
text-align:center;font-size:24px;line-height: 22px;padding-top:18px;font-weight:bold;color:#44444;
Post 10 IP   flag post
Your old dashboards will look the same except the widget headers will look a bit different. The initial update's exception this morning probably messed things up temporarily, but the patch should keep your dashboards looking the same.
Post 11 IP   flag post
jonrichings private msg quote post Address this user
Apart from a few hiccups, let me say BRILLIANT! Huge leap. Thanks Mike!
Post 12 IP   flag post
I think I found a teensy gremlin: if there is no dashboard title (or CSS) then the default name is used is exported dashboards. I'd rather it was just blank and the space reclaimed as before. Still brilliant though, big smile this morning.
Post 13 IP   flag post
MThomas private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you! I really like the new features and they are working as expected now. GroveStreams definitely has the best IoT dashboard solution on the web!
Post 14 IP   flag post
ctmorrison private msg quote post Address this user
I agree--super improvement!

FWIW, I do see an issue in Safari after I click on a stream, taking me into Stream explorer. When I close that GS tab (returning me to the original Dashboard), some of the graph widgets are completely blank. I'm forced to do a page refresh to get them back. I don't see this behavior in Chrome or Firefox.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@jonrichings - "if there is no dashboard title (or CSS) then the default name is used is exported dashboards." That shouldn't happen. We're making it so there is no title bar if there is no title.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@ctmorrison - your issues are always the hardest to reproduce

A widget's polling will be suspended if the tab it is on is not the active tab. This logic was broken in the past, but we "fixed" it with the dashboard changes today. Could this be causing your issue? How long do you leave the stream view tab open before closing it?
Is it a browser refresh that fixes it or clicking on the dashboard refresh button?
Post 17 IP   flag post
These changes are making a world of difference to the way dashboards can be shown in mobile sites and apps. However, in mobile apps the charts tend to consume all the screen so scrolling between charts involves sliding your finger within the widget, which then tries to scroll or zoom when what you really want is the whole dash to scroll. That becomes annoying very quickly. I think the 'mouseovers' could stay but locking the chart movements would be a really nice option to add to the todo list.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@jonrichings - That's a good idea. We'll add locking out chart zooming to our features list. It will probably be a setting by chart.

A temporary workaround is to give your dashboard a little more margin so scrolling can take place in the margin (vertical scrolling).
Post 19 IP   flag post
Zoom setting will appear with the next patch. Options will be:
No Zooming
X & Y axis
X axis only
Y axis only

So you can still allow zooming on the X axis which worked well on my phone. I could still vertically scroll and pinch the x axis.

Any preference to the default: xy or x only?
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm glad to know I'm not "easy"!

I'll PM you a couple of screenshots. When I click on one of the streams and even immediately close the stream viewer tab, the original Dashboard is corrupted (at least in Safari). There are no title bars for the widgets and a Dashboard refresh does nothing. It requires a browser page refresh. Safari users may be a small % of your users, but...
Post 21 IP   flag post
We do support Safari. But none of us around here use it daily so it doesn't get the eyeballs on it that it should. With the dashboard improvements we'll see more iPads hitting us so it's a must fix.
Post 22 IP   flag post
BTW, I'm not seeing widget editing tools on any of my widgets in Safari, Firefox or Chrome.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The buttons are there, but you don't see the image on them? That one we're aware of, but we thought it was only for iPads. We used Glyphs for the button icons and it appears not all browsers run with the font that has those glyphs. We'll have to convert them to plain old images. We'll do something in the patch.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Don't know if you got my PM to see the screenshots, but the title bar for each widget shrinks to almost nothing.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'd go for defaulting the zoom to xy, same as it is now, since that's going to be what most people want for desktop apps. And we'll have a click through on each chart which takes the user to a single full screen chart that will still need zoom.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I just experienced the blank charts in Chrome by just switching tabs so this is a little more serious. We'll dig into it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
The blank charts after a tab change seem to be with legacy dashboards. I copied one having issue and saved it. The copy didn't experience the problem. So I think the workaround is to open your legacy dashboard, wiggle a widget so the save button is enabled, and save it.

We're still trying to determine the cause and put a patch together.
Post 28 IP   flag post
By "wiggle a widget", I assume you mean to make a small setting change. I tried that and did a "save", but the issue persists.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Just applied a patch for the intermittent missing graphs/headers while switching between tabs issue. It fixed the issues a saw. Still see it?
Post 30 IP   flag post
2968 55 30